Project with Architect  Dario Cazzaniga, Architect Marco Ortalli, and Engineer Franco Gerosa

Location: Seregno (MB)
Project: 1999-2004
Completion: 2004-2005
Photo: Lorenzo Mussi

The project redevelops three historic buildings of public property. The main building, already used for some time as the municipal headquarters, dates from the eighteen hundreds, and has been reworked and modified over time, in particular
during the 1920’s,with the redesign of the ornaments on the façade overlooking the square, and with several sections added in the years following the 2nd World War. The project foresees the demolition of two extra sections added in the 1950’s, which has restored the original aspect of the complex. On the one hand, the initial plan wished to underline the conservation of certain elements which are considered to be well established in pictures and the public memory; on the other, it wished to highlight the new additions without repetition of stylistic elements dictated by the past but with contemporary formal selections.
Therefore, the West façade overlooking the Square has been confirmed as in its historical form. As regards the other façades of the main building, having  opted for a conservation of the historical dimensions, a definition  both formal and contemporary was chosen, suggested by means of the use of a metal windowsill of reduced thickness, and the emphasising of the windowed space  by means of a subtle darkening and a change in the finish of the paintwork.
For the  footings section, a formal enrichment was considered necessary, obtained by means of a subtle darkening of the paintwork which re-establishes the rhythmic division of the ashlar work on the main façade. The internal division work consisted of restoring the original organisation of the building and demolishing those masonry walls and additions that prevented an understanding of the building, and in the redesign of the vertical connections.
The project requires a substantial homogeneity in the  internal material of the building, suggesting a more modern and domestic image, rather than a stultifying and solemn impact. It was decided to restore the existing ceilings in the three  first floor rooms, while the new ceilings are in natural finish steel, with a lacunar finish and modular step beams, thus creating a stylised effect reminiscent of antique lacunar ceilings. The furniture design and made to measure panelling was matched with the choice of interior decoration.